Expedite Jobs Online

expedite jobs online

Frequently Asked Questions

Job description and Wage information

You have your own cargo unit, cargo van or straight truck

A cargo unit needs to be provided to you by Carrier or fleet owner

apply for an expediters job

Submit a specific question to an expert

How may we assist you?


Independent Contractor positions open now:

Owner Operators (with their own cargo units) - Positions are available now.

If you do not have your own unit, click on the "No Unit" link now, your on the wrong info page.

These positions are mainly OTR but some local openings are periodically available.

Current expedited job openings, Owner Operators / Independent

There are several openings currently available if you HAVE YOUR OWN expedited cargo unit described below.

*Cargo Van: 3/4 ton HD / 8600# GVWR cargo van
*Cargo Van: 1 ton cargo van
*Cube Van (cargo van): Cargo van under 10,000# GVWR with a "cube" on it
*Dock High Straight Truck: With or without a sleeper (102 x 102 boxes are best)
*Tractor w/trailer: Occasionally, tractors with trailers, (with
sleepers) become available.

This question is best answered by one of our friendly recruiters, as
this depends on many factors... such as the type of equipment you have and how much you are willing to put into the position.

Any DOCK HIGH STRAIGHT TRUCK WAGES: This question is best answered by one of our friendly recruiters, as this depends on many factors... such as the type of equipment you have and how much you are willing to put into the position.

To calculate an estimated wage, just take what your recruiter tells
you the current rate per loaded mile is, (xyz) for your size unit, times 540 miles (average load distance on a day we load you) equals XYZ, this would be your gross pay for that days load. No experience is required in a cargo van. Vans are normally solo (one driver) and big trucks SHOULD always have a team (2 drivers) in any OTR situation, simply to maximize on daily miles due to logging issues.

Normally, a solo expediting unit/driver should typically drive an estimated AVERAGE of AROUND 540 miles a day + or -. Actual weekly events will cause this estimate to rise or fall such as;
1. holidays
2. bad weather days where it's to slick out to drive
3. possible days for no loads due to mechanical issues
4. are you working for other carriers simultaneously

Many other possible circumstances that can affect any type of business volume including this business. All units must be reliable and road worthy units. This amount of miles a week estimate will vary and of course your level of ambition and how you operate, will affect the actual results in addition to actual miles driven. There are load distances that can cause you to surpass substantially an average daily mile estimate.

You'll need to attend an orientation by the carrier. This takes about
4-8 hours. This is when you'll take your drug test, complete your
application for employment and attend a training and Q & A session by the carrier.

Detention is paid after 2.16 hours
Dry runs are paid
Authorized tolls are paid
IFTA's are paid
Fuel surcharges are paid
Qual Comms are paid by carriers (that mandate them), not all do!

Equipment required, supplied by you:
1. GPS navigation (Garmin, Lowrance, Magellin or others)

2. Communication:
A cell phone of any brand (when qual comms are not installed / supplied by by any specific carrier). Again, not all carriers mandate this equipment.

Qual comms will cost you $35.00 a week plus $300 installation &
$300 removal charges (when required). You can choose a carrier that does not mandate a qual comm if you prefer the cell phone communication program instead, be sure to tell us this.

3. A cargo unit of any size listed above, maximum of 10 model years

4. Straps, load bars or some type of cargo harnessing equipment.

5. Certificate of Insurance: You'll soon need to contact your insurance company and inform them you'll need to coordinate a
"Certificate of Insurance" for your carrier. We will advise you when
you should do this. You can have them fax it here to us at 260.818.2052 to review and to submit to your assigned carrier. If you have a carrier preference, be sure to tell us which carrier right
away. The certificate must include the following:

5A. Unlimited miles

5B. Commercial policy

5C. The units VIN #

5D. Your name as the authorized driver for the cargo unit

5E. We will need your agents email address emailed or called into us by you or the insurance company. Our email submission form is obtained on our contact us page.

All expedite straight trucks under 33,000# GVWR will NOT, need IFTA's. If it's over 26,000# GVWR, you will need your own IFTA sticker, obtained at your local licence branch. The costs for this IFTA will be reimbursed to you by the carriers but obtained by you.

Qualifications: Job Requirements:
The required qualifications for this position include but are not limited to:

Acceptable driving record
Ability to pass a background check
Ability to pass pre and random drug and alcohol tests
Ability to enjoy over the road driving
Ability to operate ones own personal business in an efficient and
profitable manner

Note: IC has the potential to realize a profit or loss by entering
into any business endeavor / relationship. Individual results will
Note: You will be required to pass a drug test.
Note: cplm = cents per loaded mile.
Note: Independent Contractor (IC)
Note: OTR - Over The Road

RECOMMENDED ITEMS - (but NOT required):
Items recommended / to be considered having to create a smooth and efficient operating business (if you have your own cargo van or
straight truck, or not) would be - modern day technology: Be sure you keep all receipts to apply against your income taxes. Food, showers, gloves, tools, Internet, cell phones, 2 ways, printer / scanners / faxes, computers, navigation, vehicle insurances, fuel, vehicle repairs and maintenance should all be applied to your taxes... Buy them, apply against your taxes. Tax prepares familiar with truckers taxes are highly recommended. Add these things to your operation as you go...

A. Email on the road. Often times you'll want to communicate with your carrier or fleet owner and it's best if you can do this at any time.
You will periodically need to communicate with your carriers
accounting departments regarding wages and often times their times are limited so if you can email any time, this is best.

B. A computer tower or laptop in your unit on the road (around $99.00 at Wal Mart for compact laptops). If you have a computer with Wi-Fi, you can access hot spots all over with free Internet access to pay bills online, scan BOL's and email or fax and you can do these things without the need of an air card using free Wi-Fi. A CD player is nice to download dollar movies from Netflix.

C. A printer, copier, scanner combination for on the road (around
$35.00 at Office Depot). If you do not have a computer with scanning and / or faxing capability, you will most likely encounter unnecessary expenses when required to immediately email or fax BOL's into your carrier. It is common place nowadays that carriers need their signed BOL's immediately or shortly thereafter each delivery. Many operators will go to truck stops instead of faxing these documents from the consignee or from their own machinery. Every time you pay a dollar for a fax you can shift that expense towards a purchase of a fax or a scanner / email.

D. A compact regular or flat screen HD TV, CD/VCR

E. A compact cooking skillet / stove of some type to have home cooked meals to save money and eat right while on the road

F. A YMCA membership card (can be used anywhere in the USA) for
showers, working out, swimming and other activities in between loads).

A yearly single cost is about $450.00 (about $1.25 a day or a family
membership is about $700.00 yearly / $1.91 a day cheaper with a
company (about $410.00 a year). Truck stops are nice but Y's are nicer with more amenities.

G. Truck stop fuel "points" cards (any size van or truck). There is a
new program out there for TA, Flying J, Loves truck stops and others. They now have these plastic cards (like a credit card) and you can get points on them each time you purchase fuel from them, gas or diesel.

You just go inside and fill out the form and they activate the card
for you right away. Every 50 gallons of fuel you get points for a free
shower and / or meal (check with truck stops for current offerings).
This way if you don't have a Y membership or one is not as close as these places, get your shower there daily WITHOUT having to pay for it. If there's one by your house, get it now or get them as you
encounter them, but get them all set up or get one for each truck stop for convenience sake.

H. Also, if you don't have a debit card from your bank or credit
union, apply for one asap as they normally take about 7-10 days to get in the mail. This debit card will allow you to make ANY type of
purchase by swiping the card. Fuel, food, groceries whatever. All
carriers and fleet owners will direct deposit your wages right into
your checking or savings account for you and your money is easily
accessible wherever you are at any time with your debit card. Using
the debit card method / direct deposit, you can avoid the Com Data
fees for each advance / purchase.

I. A cooler for left overs, ice, soda's, a gallon of milk etc..
Coleman sells a heater / cooler combination at most camp outlets.

Use your imagination to make your time on the road more enjoyable!

Bring whatever you want to while your on the road.


Revised 3/5/13